Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Review: Tracy Anderson's 30 Day Method



Tracy Anderson's 30 Day Method
The Weight-Loss Kick-Start that Makes Perfection Possible
By Tracy Anderson
isbn: 9780446562041
pub date: 9/20/2010

Description:

Did you know muscles get bored, just like people do? And did you also know that there's a 9 out of 10 chance that you're working the wrong muscles when you exercise? With TRACY ANDERSON'S 30-DAY METHOD you don't have to worry--her unique workout will help you drop the weight and shrink your body in just 30 days.

Based on ten years of scientific research and experience getting not just herself, but A-list stars and everyday people, red carpet ready, Anderson has developed a unique 30-day diet and workout routine that reshapes the body and defies genetics to tone the muscles and drop the pounds. While most people incorrectly target their major muscle groups, like the bicep or hamstring, the focus should be on the smaller accessory muscles that can create a long, lean, balanced look--instead of bulked up look. Anderson's program is composed of a groundbreaking three-tiered approach, including a mat workout and cardio routine targeting the all-important accessory muscles, and an exclusive 30-day meal plan, complete with dozens of delicious recipes.

This comprehensive kick-start program is unlike any other workout on the market and it leaves no chance for anything but terrific, fast results!

My Review: As much as I would love to look like the cover photo of this book, unfortunately I don't think it's going to happen. Not by following Tracy Anderson's plan at least. It's not that I think there is anything wrong with it, but it just isn't something that will work for me. The 30 day method requires you to commit to three things: the Muscle Design Work, The Cardio Compliment, and an eating plan.

To begin with I do think you would need to start out with a good level of body strength, stamina, and flexibility because some of the exercises that are given look like they would be quite hard and tiring. Yes, some of the exercises are things that the majority of us could probably pull off, but others look downright scary and I wouldn't dare try them. (examples in photos)

The deal breaker for me was the 30 day meal plan, which I initially thought was 100% vegetarian. *I realize now that there are in fact two meal plans; one vegetarian plan, and one "regular" plan. Both plans include Breakfast, Lunch, Snack, and Dinner along with the page numbers for the corresponding recipes. The majority of the meat in the regular plan consists of chicken, turkey, and fish although steak and lamb both make a lone appearance on days 14 and 16. These menus are meant to help boost your metabolism while eating a healthy, balanced diet.

If you think you would be able to follow a strict and rigorous 30 day plan, and are serious about getting into shape Tracy Anderson's book will surely make a difference. She does go into a lot of detail on the benefits and step by step directions of each routine including tips for beginners. The photos and companion DVD are very helpful as well.

If I ever manage to muster the will power (and cash) to follow the 30 day menu, and the bravery to get into the positions shown in my photos I will definitely give it more of a fair chance.


*Review has been edited since I originally stated that the meal plan was 100% vegetarian, sorry about that and thanks for reading!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A "review" of something isn't very helpful if you didn't actually USE the product. Yes the exercises ARE quite tiring and the menu strict but it would have been at least a BIT useful if you had tested the best sounding recipe or daily meal plan and attempted the easist exercise set. I don't even consider this a proper review! Why did you even bother with it?

Unknown said...

Maybe I looked at it the wrong way. I read the book, I gave my thoughts on the book. I assumed that by reading it, I was USING it. Since that IS what you do with a book, after all.

I will admit that I did not read every recipe and I certainly didn't set out to review the food produced by the recipes. I took a quick look at that section, and moved on. Now that I have taken another look I need to add to my review since I see something that I missed.

Thanks Anonymous, if you hadn't come along I wouldn't have realized my mistake!

Anonymous said...

Well, if it is a 'how to' book and you don't try any of the recipes or exercises then your review is just an opinion based on what you think the results might be from what anyone can also read by flipping through said book or reading the Amazon blurb. It would be your description of your personal experience with the material that would be helpful. I would be interested to see what a beginner makes of this book-these routines are easier and shorter than all her other exercises, even the post-pregnancy DVD and the diet LESS strict than the one she uses to train her private clients. C'mon, you said you were looking to get in better shape in the new year--give it a fair TRY!! :)