Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Baby showers ~ How many should you get?


A while back, when I was still pregnant with my youngest baby I was talking to an old friend of mine and she was shocked to hear that I had only been given one baby shower for four kids. She thought I should have been given a new shower for each child, as each one deserved their own baby products and not hand me downs. I have nothing against hand me downs myself, and have many in my house but I have always thought one baby shower was "standard"


Just recently, the subject came up again with yet another old friend. She agreed with me that one shower per child was too much (picture being buried in baby products!) But she did think that if you have a boy first and then a girl, or several years in between babies that another shower was reasonable. I liked this idea.


My first girl was born 4 years after my son, and I had already given nearly everything away. Then once again; 4 years after my first daughter, I gave up thinking I would have another baby and gave away the rest of my baby products just a month before finding out I was pregnant with my youngest. For me, it would have been nice to have even a small shower for my girls because in both cases I started out with the bare minimum.

How many baby showers did you get, or how many do you think is reasonable?

5 comments:

Lindsey Lu said...

Ive always heard that each child (besides twins) has their own shower. Ive been to multiple showers for the same mothers.

Unknown said...

All the showers I have been to were always for the first baby only, I lost contact for a long time with the friends mentioned here hadn't thought much about multiple baby showers!

At first, when I was pregnant with #2 I thought I would get one but my mom was the one that told me you only get one shower.

Confessions From A Work-At-Home Mom said...

This is a REALLY interesting question! I think you came up with a good compromise. If I had two girls or two boys back to back, I wouldn't expect separate showers. But a girl followed by a boy 5 years later? Definitely!

~Elizabeth

simplymerry said...

Why shouldn't each pregnancy and each baby get a shower? Of course, a mom can decline the need for a shower - or rather, the need for gifts at a shower!!

What is the purpose of a shower? I thought it was to celebrate the specific miracle of her pregnancy and the child. It's no less a miracle and celebration after the first child. Or shouldn't be. :)

Pam said...

I was given a baby shower for each kid. My kids were four years apart. I've been to multiple showers for the same mom too.